- This event has passed.
BEYOND PART L: More about roofs
February 23 @ 8:30 am - March 9 @ 5:00 pm
– BY CORRESPONDENCE Presenter: Joost Hogewoning Course information (Content/Overview) FORMAT: this CPD is presented in a correspondence format. The participant will receive the presentation and accompanying notes in a PDF format by e-mail on the starting date. The course must be completed within 14 days. This will enable the participants to work at their own pace, and to move between slides and notes to and fro, for better understanding. There will be no need to be at a computer at any specific time, and will use less than 40Mb data. Questions may be submitted by e-mail. A short questionnaire has to be completed at the end to ascertain that the participant has worked through the material and has understood it. Aim of CPD: The CPD will go beyond Part L in giving the participants a better understanding of the basics focussing on roof design in the residential as well as the industrial field. There are many hidden design criteria in other parts of SANS 10400 as well as SANS codes outside SANS 10400, which are all brought together to give a better overall picture. It will touch on the relevant sections of Parts A, B, C, L, T and XA. It will also address the relevant parts of SANS 10407, 3088 and 1732 as well as information from other sources. It will also highlight the main additions from the new Part L: 2020. The course will help designers to broaden their avenues of design as well as how to comply with the latest regulations on roof design and rainwater harvesting. The CPD is presented in the following 7 modules:
- Overview: Standard shapes of roofs. Different trusses. Industrial roofs. Steel sections in roofs. Anchoring of steel trusses.
- Structural design elements: Wind forces and dynamics. Hail implications. Condensation. Negative moments on members.
- Attics, dormers and roof lights: Different types. Dimension limitations. Fenestration.
- Roof coverings: Types. Truss spacing. Tile fixing. Polycarbonate sheeting. Green roofs. Historical case study.
- Ceilings and ventilators: Types of ceilings and insulation (XA). Types of roof ventilators.
- Rainwater: Gutters and downpipes. Calculations. Parapets and waterproofing. Rainwater harvesting.
- Thatched roofs: (SANS 10407) Thatching details and requirements. Gum pole roof structures. Fire protection.
- Cancellation/refunds will only be accepted a week prior to the set date. Should notification of cancellation not be received within this period, refunds will not be issued due to non-attendance
- Refunds for non-completion of the course, once commenced, is not allowed
- certificates of attendance will be issued 14 days after the event. Should you not receive a copy of your certificate after the 14 days, kindly email our office.
- requests for certificates for courses completed in previous years will incur a cost of R100,00 per certificate